Sunday, December 11, 2011

Tunisian Food #1: Leblebi

Although I've been surviving on sandwiches and pizzas (Tunisian fast food) here, I decided it was time to get out and try some of the traditional cuisine. The first thing I decided to try was leblebhi-a chickpea & garlic "stew" served over bread. It seems to be a winter dish, so I figured now, while there's a chill in the air, would be a good time to have it.

First you are given two large pieces of bread to
crumble up into the bowl

Then, the soupy chick pea mixture is poured over the bread
and topped with harissa (a red pepper paste), cumin and olive oil. 
You can also add meat or soft boiled eggs, but I opted to try it plain first.

You mix it all up so that the bread is nice and soggy.

Bon Appetite!

How was it?  Well, let's just say there's nothing wrong with it...but I'm not sure if I'm going to go looking for it anytime soon.  Towards the end of the bowl, the consistency of the soggy bread kind of got to me and I was unable to finish.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry, dear... I'll stick to a soggy pizza first!! Hope you're having a great time!!

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeww! That soggy bread would make me gag.

    Love,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: Please DO NOT bring this recipe home for us to try!

    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori,
    I second all the comments so far. I'm afraid my gag reflex would kick in right away. But I admire your sense of eating adventure...something entirely missing from my life.
    Love
    AL

    ReplyDelete