Monday, January 11, 2016

Marcona: San Fernando Reserve


One of the other great things about Marcona is its proximity to the San Fernando Reserve.  Anny's uncle arranged a tour for us there and it was one of the best experiences of the trip!  Although it was a long trip through the sand, it was worth every minute.  We saw many different animals and birds and saw some beautiful scenery.



The catedral de San Fernando - a similar rock formation in Paracas was destroyed in the 2007 earthquake, but this one has stood firm. 

This reserve was preserved as a habitat for the sea lions.  We saw many colonies [or pods - I had to look up the name for a group of sea lions!] throughout the day.

I was really excited to finally see penguins...even though it was from quite a height!




As we were watching this colony of sea lions, a large majority of them decided to head out to the sea in a group.  I´m not sure of the actual word for it, but I would describe it as a stampede.  It was amazing to watch.



The water was so clear, it was as if they were swimming in a pool.


The white rock on the right is home to another waddle [colony/rookery - more research] of penguins.

We met a diver who returned with his fresh catch of octopus.

Birds are not really my thing, so I don´t have a clue about these.



I kept trying to catch a picture of the crabs, but they were too fast for me!

Luckily, this pod of sea lions decided to relax quite close to the shore.

It seems some of them were as curious about us as we were of them!




No comments:

Post a Comment