Thursday, January 7, 2016

Ringing in 2016

After spending Christmas in Lima, I was itching to do some travelling.  I headed south, with my friend Anny, to spend New Years at the beaches in Marcona.

Here in Peru, yellow is the color for New Years.  All week, companies have been putting their yellow clothes in the windows and small booths selling yellow items have been cropping up everywhere:

Note that the booth on the left is selling panetone (of course) and grapes-as you will have good luck throughout the year if you eat 12 grapes in the first minute after midnight.

Another tradition here is to wear yellow underwear for New Years, yellow and red if you want to have luck in love in the new year or yellow and green for money.  I saw ones with the Peru symbol, which I interpreted as meaning I'd be lucky and be able to stay in Peru, but, unfortunately, they didn't have my size.

I, of course, threw myself into the spirit of the holiday-celebrating by wearing yellow underwear, sucking down 12 grapes, and putting a mixture of dry rice, seeds & lentils into my pocket (this you move to a visible place so that it acts as a reminder to pursue your goals for the year)...all while watching the fireworks exploding all over the beach.


Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment