Friday, September 12, 2014

More food

Last weekend was all about food (as it should be in Lima!)

First I started out at El Pichito, a restaurant that serves food from the jungle with a couple of my students.

The girls are eating juane, seasoned rice mixed with chicken that is wrapped in a banana leaf before cooking. I'm eating patacones y cecina, fried plantain slices and ham.  We also had a similar version, tacacho, where the plantains are mashed and mixed with ham before being fried, for an appetizer.  I think I enjoyed the tacacho the best.  We also tried a couple of different juices and, for dessert, an ice cream made from a fruit that is supposed to make you curvy like an Amazonian woman.  (We'll see about that!)


Later I was off to Mistura, a famous food festival here in Peru.


You can find anything and everything related to Peruvian cuisine and culture here:

Mundo del pan (World of bread)

 Mundo de las Brasas (World of the Grill):
What's a food festival without grilled meat?



A traditional cooking technique



Mundo cervecero (World of Beer):
Now THIS is a beer tent!

It even had a museum about the history of brewing

Each brand had their own themed 'room' in the tent 



And in the center, a booth where you could learn all about tasting beers
Round 2: Some fancy causa and pisco 
Some traditional dancers



All in all I had a great time, but if I went back again, I'd have to take someone who knows where the best places are to eat, because the amount of options is a bit overwhelming.  Mistura 2015, though, would be a great activity for someone considering visiting me here (hint, hint!)  

No comments:

Post a Comment