Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Another view of Lima

Last weekend, I went back to the La Plaza Mayor-this time during the day.  Outside of the President's residence there is a changing of the guards ceremony.  While not as extensive as the one outside of Buckingham Palace, it was worth seeing:

Near the plaza, you can take a bus that takes you to the top of a hill, Cerra San Cristobal, from where you can look out over Lima.  This was a recommendation from one of my students and I was very glad I took his advice.  The bus takes you through a residential district where the streets are just barely wide enough for the bus to pass pedestrians on the side, combined with a steep grade as you ascend the hill. (Pittsburgh people, imagine a barely one lane assent of Potomac Ave-that is 3 times as long-from Banksville Rd and you will have a rough idea of what I'm talking about.)  Watching all of this from the front seat can really get your heart racing, let me tell you.  But the view from the top was worth every nerve-wracking moment:







No comments:

Post a Comment