Sunday, April 8, 2012

Gaza


I can't let this challenge go without a mention of my first trip abroad (well, not counting Canada!).  In the summer of 1998, I participated in a mission trip to the Gaza Strip.  A lot of people think of it as a really dangerous place to go, but at that time there was a bit of a lull in the cycles of violence that have enveloped the region for many decades now. 

My team

Our home during the trip, Dair Latin (the Latin School)

While there, we participated in a couple of different projects:

At Atfaluna, we helped out with the summer camp

Pete and I volunteered at the hospital-
the only private hospital in the Gaza strip that would treat those wounded in the intifada

We also hosted a summer English camp.  Although this wasn't my project,
I got to know a few of the kids.  I'm pictured here with one of them, Shima

This trip was really instrumental in opening my eyes to injustice around the world and in my own country. 

***************************
Blogs to visit : The M Half of the M-n-J Show, Learn Tamil with me, Woman Never Sleeps, Solo Travel Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment