Thursday, April 26, 2012

United Kingdom


"The complexities of the English language are such that even native speakers cannot always communicate effectively, as almost every American learns on his first day in Britain."
~The Mother Tongue

Now that I've spent some time in London (and understand a bit more British English!), I want to go back and explore more of the United Kingdom. I'm fascinated by the country-not only from a sightseeing perspective, but also from a linguistic perspective.  As Bill Bryson writes in his book, The Mother Tongue:

"A paradox of accents is that in England where people from a common heritage have been living together in a small area for thousands of years, there is still a huge variety of accents, whereas in America, where people from a great mix of backgrounds have been living together in a vast area for a relatively short period, people speak with just a few voices." 

This linguistic variance is cleverly showcased in the play The 39 Steps (a tribute to the Alfred Hitchcock):


2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the conversation between my boss and I last week (a Brit).

    Me: Where's Alan?

    He: On walkabout.

    Me: Huh?

    He: On walkabout.

    Me: Yeah, I know, but what is that?

    He: He's missing, probably on a drunk.

    Me: Oh. (a beat) Hey, are we getting those two new hospitals to take care of?

    He: I hope. The Indian lady is constantly winding me up, though.

    Me: What?

    He: Winding me...oh, she's getting on my nerves.

    Me: Oh, look, I have something to do.

    lol

    It's always like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as Brit - I'm proud of my 'Mother Tongue'! ;-)
    As for regional dialects, consider what I had to cope with as a child: born and raised in the Midlands, surrounded by Birmingham/Coventry 'twang', yet at home the family (recently relocated from generations spent in the Scottish Borders) spoke with a very different accent! Kids at school often looked at me strangely when I came out with phrases they'd never heard before; even the teachers at school told me to 'speak properly, child!'

    Then I grew up and married a Londoner - much scope for pulling faces at each others' diction! ;-p


    SueH I refuse to go quietly!
    Twitter - @Librarymaid

    ReplyDelete